The Guildhall was rebuilt in Georgian times (1769). It stands on the site of The Bear where the Council had met since 1673. Harwich Borough Council last met there in 1951. The interior contains a fine panelled court room.
In 1974, due to local Government reorganisation, The Guildhall became the home of Harwich Town Council, who restored it. Restoration revealed a medieval wall painting, boarded walls covered with engravings of 18th century ships and houses, carved into the woodwork, which had subsequently been plastered over. These engravings were probably created by prisoners, as this was part of the lock-up when the Police Station was contained within the Guildhall.