The Kindertransport, the flight to Britain of 10,000 mostly Jewish children from the persecution of the Nazis, is usually associated with the British stockbroker Nicholas Winton. He managed to save 6% of the children – who saved the other 94%? Mike Levy tells the little-known stories of the Rabbi, the Dutch aunt, the Quaker and the German department store owner – crucial instigators of this unique act of rescue.
Mike Levy is a Lead Researcher at the UK Holocaust Memorial Foundation, educator with the Holocaust Education Trust and researcher at Keystage Arts and Heritage. He is a playwright and Chair of The Harwich Kindertransport Memorial and Learning Trust Ltd, which is working to create and place a memorial statue and education programme for learning about the Kindertransport and the crucial role played by Harwich and Dovercourt.
The event is free and open, please register in advance to attend: https://www.essex.ac.uk/events/2021/02/02/forgotten-rescuers-the-origins-of-the-kindertransport-1938
Further information contact:
Events and Stakeholder Engagement Officer
University of Essex
M 07823 445392
Photo By Bundesarchiv, Bild 183-S69279 / CC-BY-SA 3.0, CC BY-SA 3.0 de