Although not much is known about the early history of Bobbit’s Hole, or how it got its name, there is a map, dated 1550 and held in the Guild Hall, which shows Bobbit’s Hole near an inn. (The Royal Oak of today). It was a very important source of fresh water in the Middle Ages and probably was used to water livestock. In 1976, due to the historical importance of the site, the Harwich Society decided Bobbit’s Hole should be preserved and a small nature reserve created. After some years of renting the site, the Harwich Society bought it in 1993.
By 2001, with Bobbit’s Hole being recognised as a local Nature Reserve by Tendring District Council, a volunteer team responsible for the Reserve was in place. The team open the site to the public every Sunday morning from 10am till noon throughout the year, weather permitting. The Reserve is now an educational resource and is regularly used by local schools, youth/children’s’ organisations and many other groups including U3A, Rotary etc.
For visitors, Bobbit’s Hole reserve is situated next to Asda on Main Road, Dovercourt. (Postcode – CO12 3HJ). There is parking in Asda car park and the reserve entry gate is to the left of the Asda main entrance.