1907 - Fountain built
A supply of fresh wholesome water was eventually brought to the area in 1887; however, it was some time before all the houses could be connected to the mains. At first people drew supplies from a standpipe at the end of West St.
In 1907 a drinking fountain was erected with troughs for horses and dogs. It was described in the Harwich and Dovercourt Newsman, the local newspaper, as having 'the general shape of an obelisk, about 20 feet in height, with battlemented angles surmounted by a tapered spire and gas lamp.' (See illustration)
The fountain was situated in the middle of the road at the junction of West St and Wellington Rd. As years went by, its position made it a traffic hazard and in 1946 it blew up one Sunday morning under mysterious circumstances.